21 June 2016

Independent: I don't fear immigration, I fear that bleach-blond megalomaniac Boris Johnson

Yes, fear has got hold of me, but not in the way it has grabbed others. I don’t fear immigration; I fundamentally support the idea of open borders, think we should take in far more refugees and know that our economy would collapse without a steady influx of immigrant labour to work as nurses, teachers, scientific researchers and many more besides.

I don’t fear that the banks will up and leave. Good riddance if they do, although I very much doubt that they’ll suddenly transfer all their workers, sell up their offices and change how they do business overnight. I don’t fear that the rest of Europe or the world will hate us, love us or call us quitters. [...]

I’ve considered the arguments for ‘Lexit’ (a left-wing exit of the EU) and I know there could be a brave new world out there. But, pragmatically, I don’t believe it’s possible in 2016. Whenever I start convincing myself that a post-Brexit house price crash might be worth it all to finally get me on the property ladder, that Rupert Murdoch quote comes back to mind. Asked about why he opposed the EU, he replied: “That’s easy. I go into Downing Street they do what I say; when I go to Brussels they take no notice.”

No comments:

Post a Comment