2 March 2018

Independent: Take it from someone who has been morbidly obese: this is what overweight people actually need to hear

The traditional finger-wagging approach from parents, friends or doctors did nothing to alter my eating habits, which got worse when I escaped home and moved to university. Like many students, I found a diet of takeaways and processed food preferable to properly planned meals. And sport? Well, that was something to be watched on television, not to participate in. [...]

This wasn’t about cutting foods, opting for fad diets or shaming my body. I decided that I would take a positive approach to changing my behaviour and it began with accepting what had gone wrong up until that point. I wouldn’t set myself any specific target – I simply wanted to be happy.  [...]

It wasn’t my newfound ability to enter a room of strangers without appearing flustered, or a changed relationship with food, that was important; it was the fact that I had finally become happy in my own skin. The previous years of warnings had little impact on me – I knew fine well that eating pizza several times during the week wasn’t the best of ideas, who doesn’t? It was always about changing my mental outlook.  

No comments:

Post a Comment