30 May 2017

VICE: How a Wrestling Club Became My New Home in Germany

I started wrestling four months ago. I never wrestled in Syria, though I did have the occasional scuffle with my brother, cousins and mates (but with less rules or tactics and more dirty tricks). My friend Abdul lives in the same dormitory in Berlin as me. He took me along to his wrestling club one time, and I immediately loved it.

These days we wrestle here together, three times a week. I get on with everyone, although we don't all speak the same language – there are Russian, Arabic, Polish and German guys here. We don't talk a lot, but I think you can say that we communicate with movement and really have become best friends through that. My friend Saleh, who speaks better German than I do, was happy to translate this article from Arabic to German for me. [...]

My day starts at 9AM. I have a language class until 1PM and an integration course until 2PM. During that course, I learn a lot about German culture and ethics. We've also already gone on two outings – one to the Environmental Protection Centre and another to the Egyptian museum. I also go to the mosque once a week. Otherwise I don't go out much, but instead go back to the dormitory after classes and cook. On the days that I have wrestling training, I prepare a lot of food – mainly potatoes and chicken. I learnt how to cook Arabic dishes at my school in Syria, and I think I've gotten pretty good at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment