7 January 2017

Political Critique: Our silence supports the perpetrators of child abuse within the Church

Government agencies, independent from the Catholic Church, in many countries have begun up to investigate claims of sexual abuse of children in the Church. Unfortunately, the influence the Church in Polish politics means that children in Poland cannot count on such protection from paedophiles in cassocks. Two facts from the last year may attest to the difficult situation facing child victims of sexual abuse by priests. Firstly, the new head of the Parliamentary Commission of Justice and Human Rights is a prosecutor who, in 2001, decided to dismiss the charges against a priest accused of molesting young girls. As prosecutor he decided that the defendant had, in fact, been using his skills in bioenergy therapy. Secondly, In 2002, during another pedophilia scandal, the newly appointed Archbishop of Kraków, and the head of Polish Church, failed to support the victims, despite the insight he had into the particulars of the case. ‘Have No Fear’ (Nie lękajcie się), founded in 2015, is the first Polish organization that brings together victims of paedophile priests. It is supported internationally by the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP). [...]

There was no one that I could tell. Everyone admired this priest. I could not tell my parents, my teachers or my friends, so I didn’t tell anyone. I didn’t even realize it was affecting my life. I grew up, moved away and went on with my life. However, as an adult I began having nightmares and flashbacks. I was haunted by what had happened to me as a child. I went to the Church officials to get help.  I had thought that they would care about my family and me. I had thought that they would want to get him out of the Church so that he could not do the same thing to another other child. I was told that I was the only victim and advised to keep quiet instead of reporting him to the police. I was told that reporting the abuse would be detrimental to my family and me, and also harmful to the reputation of the Church. They said that they knew I did not want to damage the community’s respect for the Church. So I kept silent for seven more years. [...]

Over the years, we have spoken to the heads of many religious communities; Franciscans, Augustinians, Benedictines… and also to the cardinals. But it has been in vain. Meeting with them does not bring about any change in the cycle of abuse. Only the pressure of exposing such abuse in the media, and the pressure from the public to put an end to this abuse can effect real change. The Church will only change under real external pressure Pope Francis has made grand statements condemning this abuse, but he has not taken any action that would protect children. If he were sincere in his desire to protect the children of the Church, he would punish the bishops responsible for enabling the crimes of perpetrators of sexual abuse among the clergy: ‘If you hire or transfer a perpetrator, you will be removed from you post’. The perpetrators themselves should be excommunicated.  In 2014, even UN recommended this course of action to the Vatican! Whistle-blowers should be held up as examples to follow. Finally, the Church should publicize the names of all known perpetrators so that parents are able to consult this list and ensure that their children are not at risk. Under John Paul II and Benedict XXVI, all the cases of child abuse were sent to the Vatican – and they are still there. These files should be made public and should be dealt with by the police. Bishops should not be investigating crimes any more than the chief of police should be telling the cardinal what to say in his homily on Christmas day.

No comments:

Post a Comment