1 September 2016

Salon: Jealous of what? Solving polyamory’s jealousy problem

I am lucky; I live with the two loves of my life.  I am smitten with my husband of 16 years, and adore my partner of four.  The three of us depend upon and nurture each other; we are a family.  When my partner and I hadn’t had a date in a while, my husband encouraged us to take a holiday at the art museum, knowing how the visual connects us.  When my husband and I hit an emotional snag in discussing our issues, my partner helped us to sort it out and come together.  And when I was picking out Christmas presents, I gave the foodies in my life some bonding time over a Japanese small plates cooking class. [...]

I think back on my life of four years ago as we first formed our polyamorous family.  My new boyfriend was surprised that he felt no jealousy of my 14-year relationship with my husband.  He felt supported and welcomed into our lives, and longed to make a commitment to us, but the absence of jealousy was perplexing to him.  Doesn’t jealousy naturally emerge from a partner having another partner, he wondered?  He waited for over a year before he made a commitment, just in case jealousy would emerge.  He was waiting for Godot. [...]

Eric Widmer, a sociologist at the University of Geneva shows that trust in any dyadic (two-person) relationship is influenced by the density of the larger social configuration in which it is embedded.  Research indicates that people feel more comfortable when those persons they are close to are also close to one another, which is termed transitivity.  This leads over time to dense networks, where the number of actual connections between members comes close to or equals the number of potential connections.  In my polyamory family there were three potential dyadic relationships and all have been realized either through a love relationship (my partners and I) or a close friendship (between my partners).  A dense, socially cohesive network allows for a greater degree of trust between any two members.  My family’s wider social network of friends and family varies in its transitivity with us.  But the cohesiveness within our immediate family alone begins to account for the seemingly surprising lack of jealousy. [...]

Research on polyamory indicates that participants tend to be highly educated professionals.  According to psychologist Hazel Markus, such professionals tend toward an “independent model of agency” where actions are perceived as freely chosen and independent from others (vs. working-class Americans who view their actions as interdependent with others). For instance, in a work organization, upper-middle-class employees tend to have broad networks of colleagues who work closely together but in changing configurations from one project to the next.  Without a small, consistent work group, such employees tend to think of themselves as individual agents, with a sense of agency (within organizational constraints) in choosing projects and colleagues.  Sounds pretty fantastic, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment