11 May 2016

CNN: Why my parents tried to cure me of being gay

Reparative therapy's most alluring fiction is right there in its name: the idea of an Edenic reparation, a return to a Golden Age when life was much less complicated. It is a lie I've seen repeated in the latest string of anti-LGBT legislation passed in Tennessee, Mississippi, and most notably North Carolina. In order to protect us from complicated identities and shifting realities, politicians hide under the guise of safety, cleansing public spaces of all ambiguity. Bathrooms become either/or, and businesses operate under the personal beliefs of their owners. "Safe spaces" are reserved for those least in need of them. Instead of making room for all people, these states offer the same two options my parents once offered me: conform or move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment